Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Dec 30 16:56:59 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 16:43:41 UTC, John Gabriele
wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 15:57:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 11:27:29 UTC, Russel Winder
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2017-12-27 at 18:41 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via
>>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>>
>>> […]
>>> However the GStreamer folk are backing Rust (for memory
>>> safety issues noted earlier) so even though D has a GStreamer
>>> binding (thanks to Mike and GtkD) I more or less have to use
>>> Rust because it is the official binding. Comparing and
>>> contrasting D and Rust is interesting for me. Both have many
>>> pluses and many minuses. However, in the end, the GStreamer
>>> core people know C, C++ a bit, D not at all. I suspect even
>>> if the choice had been Rust or D, Rust would have been chosen
>>> because it has no GC and D is a GC language.
>>
>> Not only GStreamer, Rust is on its way to become an offical
>> GNOME language, and who knows, eventually take over Vala's
>> role.
>
> I haven't followed Gnome+Rust news. What suggests Rust may be
> on its way to become an official Gnome language?

GNOME and Rust devs are collaborating on how to easily integrate
Rust with the Gtk+ object model.

Meetings were held at GUADEC, and a few projects, like GStreamer
are now only using Rust for new code being written. It remains
open what they will do with existing plugins.

The blog reports about those meetings are quite easy to find.

For example,

https://2017.guadec.org/talks-and-events/index.html#abstract-5-replacing_c_library_code_with_rust_what_i_learned

https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/rust-and-gnome-meeting-notes/4339