Developing blockchain software with D, not C++

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sun Dec 31 10:58:09 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 at 16:59:41 UTC, aberba wrote:
> In this video[1] from 2016, developer talks about C++ memory
> safety features, meta-programming, maturity and few others as
> main reasons they choose it for developing their blockchain
> software (the way I got it from a quick view).
>
> Besides, D maturity (which I can't confirm or deny), what else
> does D miss to be considered a better alternative for
> blockchain in 2018?
>
> D is also more productive, has safety and unittest built-in.
>

> 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jq4frE5v4

The better question is whether blockchain is worth implementing
in D? ;) It wastes a ton of energy with the most common
proof-of-work approach and, as I've pointed out here before,
there are better ways to do it:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/bitcoins-insane-energy-consumption-explained/
http://forum.dlang.org/post/xzuzvykrqouqlsjmkvug@forum.dlang.org

But some decentralized approach, if not blockchain, is
undoubtedly going to be a huge winner, and of course D would be a
great language with which to build it.  The lead developer of
Bitcoin Cash, currently the fourth-most valuable cryptocurrency
(https://coinmarketcap.com), gave a talk on doing crypto in D at
the last DConf:

http://dconf.org/2017/talks/sechet.html

I don't think he's using D since they forked the Bitcoin source
though.