What don't you switch to GitHub issues

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Dec 31 11:18:26 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 at 02:50:48 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 December 2017 at 02:37:24 UTC, IM wrote:
>> Just curious, why Bugzilla and not something else?
>
> Bugzilla was the most well-known solution at the time. Keep in
> mind the D bugzilla has been around since 2006. As far as I
> understand it, migration at this point is deemed a big pain.

No it wouldn't be a big pain. There are many tools for
automatically migrating issues from Bugzilla. The only thing
depending on Bugzilla is the changelog generator, but it's API
calls to Bugzilla can be replaced with GitHub API calls within an
hour.
So the entire migration could be easily done in a lot less than a
day.

The only reason we still use Bugzilla is that the core people are
used to it. Here are a couple of the common arguments:

1) Bugzilla is our, we don't want to depend on GitHub

The D ecosystem already heavily depends on GitHub. Exporting the
issues from GitHub would be easy. Besides there is only one
person with access to the Bugzilla server.

2) GitHub only has per registry issues

Bugzilla uses components too, they don't support global issues
either. Besides if that's required one could easily create a meta
repository for such global tasks.

3) Bugzilla's issue tracker is more sophisticated

Sure, but does this help when you loose out on many contributors?
GitHub even has build tools and sites that let anyone discover
"easy" issues if they are labeled accordingly. It's free
marketing.

FYI I asked the same question 1 1/2 years ago:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/ezldcjzpmsnxvvncncsi@forum.dlang.org

Since then, for example, GitHub got voting for issues, but
Bugzilla lost it.