What do you want to see for a mature DLang?

IM 3di at gm.com
Sun Dec 31 16:18:46 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 at 07:43:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/30/2017 11:23 PM, IM wrote:
>> While we are discussing it here, could you please let me know
>> what the bug triage process for each release cycle is? Is it
>> random that anyone picks up whatever bug s/he feels like
>> fixing? Or is it that if contributors will contribute X number
>> of patches this cycle, then there is some sort of guidance and
>> direction of this effort towards fixing some high priority
>> bugs?
>
> Bugs are ranked by severity, but generally what gets fixed are
> bugs that a particular person self-selects an interest in
> fixing it.
>
> Often people who just want to help out will peruse the buglist
> looking for issues that match their skill levels that they can
> fix.

I hope that you could see that this doesn't scale very well, and
some kind of a process needs to be established to shape and
direct the efforts. Some thoughts/suggestions:
- Weekly meeting to review open bugs, adjust their components and
priority appropriately, and assign to potential owners (those who
can or likely to fix the bugs. Owners can then reassign or
unassign if not interested).
- Maybe ask someone to volunteer for triaging bugs in each
component. So every component has an owner.
- If a bug has been assigned to someone and hasn't received any
attention (i.e. remained open for say 3 months), a bot should
unassign it so that it returns back to the triage pool, hoping
that it will catch the attention of the triage volunteers.

What do you think? Do you agree that a process is needed?