Fix it for me!

Profile Anaysis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 1 07:21:38 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 at 15:21:42 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 at 13:11:22 UTC, Profile Anaysis
> wrote:
>> The web interface could use a little work!
>>
>> 1. Tabs - I know that tabs are designed to move to different
>> elements but you can override the default behavior and make
>> life quite a bit easier for most people(since most people have
>> access to a mouse).
>
> That would be a regression in accessibility. At least, I use
> tabs to navigate website forms.

Then make it optional. Simple as that. The best of both worlds...
everyone is happy instead of just you. Most people do not use tab
to navigate through controls but use the mouse. Basically it is a
JS fix on the client side. A simple button and cookie setting
should do it.

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3362/capturing-tab-key-in-text-box
>
> This solution is an ugly kludge. Sorry, but I will not be
> implementing this. I would suggest against using tabs in
> Internet messages anyway, as the way they are displayed highly
> depends on the user agent.

this has nothing to do with real tabs but with the interface.

Every time I go to hit tab it takes me to the send button and if
I hit space then it posts. This is not good.

By simply having the tab insert tabs or spaces instead of tabbing
to a control would be much better and more in line with a coding
forum. Even SO does this.

it has nothing to do with anyone that views the reply but on the
user interface side of things. If you don't like tab characters
then use spaces for the tab key instead. It is equivalent to me
having to hit space 4 times anyways and no one on the other end
would know the difference.

In fact, I'd rather you completely disable the tab key if you are
not going to have to insert tab/spaces in to the document. They
way it goes to send and the fact that we can't edit posts makes
it much more dangerous for making incomplete posts.

>> Instead, put some elements on the page, a few buttons that say
>> things like "fix me" which will reduce the quote like it
>> normally does, but does not require a page reload(which can be
>> a few seconds sometimes and sometimes the site goes down in
>> the middle).
>
> Page load times should be almost always instant. Unfortunately,
> the server the forum is running on has been experiencing high
> load lately, due to it also hosting some D CI systems. I'm
> looking into this.
>
>> Also, the captcha could be added the first time if it is
>> required instead of requiring another page load for it to pop
>> up.
>
> Whether or not a CAPTCHA challenge should be displayed cannot
> be determined before the user submits their post.

>> 3. D code highlighting!
>
> Some Markdown formatting is planned for the next major update.

Cool...

>> Oh, and this post: "Your post contains a suspicious keyword or
>> character sequence. Please solve a CAPTCHA to continue."
>>
>> Did I say a nasty word somewhere? Is someone gonna wash my
>> mouth out with soap?
>
> The suspicious character sequence in your post was:
>
>> [Url]http://forum.dlang.org/newpost/general[/Url]
>
> This syntax does nothing on these forums, but many spammers
> attempt to use it anyway when spamming links to their websites.
> For this reason, it always triggers a CAPTCHA.
>
>> Also, If I get the captcha and get the answer wrong, I get a
>> loop:
>>
>> Your last post was less than 15 seconds ago. Please wait a few
>> seconds before trying again.
>
> This should now be improved.

Thanks. That seems to be the biggest annoyance.

>> Seems like if one does a valid captcha it should reset and
>> allow the next post to go through without issue.
>
> No, because then someone could write a solver for the CAPTCHAs,
> and be able to flood the forum without any rate restrictions.

No, because it only happens once. This is to prevent the captcha
from acting on the same msg, not different ones.

If I solve a captch for MSG X it should always be solved, not
require me to re do it for other things that reset it. It says
nothing about MSG Y and hence nothing about flooding(wouldn't
change anything in that respect). By "next post" meant the same
msg, but one that that required something else like a "fix quote
or whatever".

What I'm saying doesn't make anyone's life better but a real
human being. I have replied to a thread, solved the captcha, only
to be told that I need to fix the something or wait 15 seconds,
then have to resolve, and the process repeats... for no good
reason. If I can solve the captcha once I can do it again.

And after all, the captcha are easily solvable, copy code in to
compiler, get result. Someone could write one pretty easily if
they wanted.