Snap packages for D compilers and core projects

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 3 00:51:38 PST 2017

On Monday, 30 January 2017 at 16:53:34 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Snap packaging started as something Ubuntu were developing for
> their use-case, but started gaining cross-distro interest last
> year (probably because AFAICT its feature-set and simplicity of
> use is quite a bit ahead of alternatives like Flatpak).

I just tried FlatPak and Snap. Snap is actually useable.

FlatPak might be superior technology with its sandboxing, but I'm
no expert. FlatPak has no central repository, which makes it
unuseable for the layman at the moment. It feels like the PPA
situation in Ubuntu.

Snap has stuff like pulseaudio (audio daemon) or ogre (rendering
engine) in the repo. That seems weird, because these are not
applications. The first belongs into the base system, the second
into a development environment.