Why we need DIP25 and DIP1000

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 6 13:05:23 PST 2017

On Monday, 6 February 2017 at 11:02:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/5sda9s/what_rust_can_do_that_other_languages_cant_in_six/

> (On ycombinator, don't click on the link above, click on
> https://news.ycombinator.com and looke for "What Rust Can Do
> That Other Languages Can't". If you click on the direct link,
> your votes will not be counted.)

I don't think anyone argue that D shouldn't have anything
allowing this kind of things. That's a bad strawman.

It's like politician who are like, "you oppose mass surveillance
? Surely you want children to die !".

DIP25 and DIP1000 are addressing a real problem. They do it in a
clumsy way. Specifically, DIP25 do it in a way that actaully was
tried before with type qualifier ( inout ) and, long story short:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/neqr75$1pbl$1@digitalmars.com .

Now you can chose to wage an exhaustion war until everybody who
remains either agrees or don't care to fight anymore. That won't
make it a good idea, but it'll look like one.