D future ...

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 11 10:51:31 PST 2017

On Sat, 2017-02-11 at 15:52 +0000, SC via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> People here under estimate the necessity to have EXCELLENT editor
> support
>
> Without editor, nobody will want to write code in D, there are
> ton of languages now, all with great editor support (Rust, Go,
> Kotlin, Scalla, C#, java, C/C++), people have choice

Cannot disagree with this.

> There are 10 IDE/plugin project for d, this is too much, half are
> already dead, we go nowhere, please focus on one that is
> crossplatform (IntelliJ)

It isn't the number of different projects that is the problem. The
problem is the lack of effort going in to the Eclipse and the IntelliJ
IDEA plugins. In terms of traction of D, having an excellent Eclipse
perspective, and an excellent IntelliJ IDEA and CLion plugin is
essential.

Personally, I favour the IntelliJ IDEA and CLion IDEs. Work is
progressing on the IntelliJ IDEA but it simply needs more people
contributing actively – to my shame I haven't been able to put time
into this myself, so I am contributing to the problem. This plugin uses
Dub for build management, the CLion version needs to use CMake, so we
need the CMake-D stuff to be up to scratch as well.

I have just tried out the Rust plugin to IntelliJ IDEA, it is
excellent. JetBrains themselves have taken the Go plugin and turned it
into Gogland a complete IDE. It is not half bad. D is very definitely
losing in this IDE race, and thus in the potential for traction in the
C, C++, Go, Rust, D milieu.

> And jetbrains are working on Kotlin native, another big
> competitor..

Interesting, but the current competition is between Go, Rust, C++, and
D.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk