D future ...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 14 02:22:26 PST 2017

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 at 18:51:31 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> Interesting, but the current competition is between Go, Rust,
> C++, and D.

I don't know, which fields are you thinking about? I believe the
market is changing.

On OSX/iOS: Swift + Metal is the alternative, throw in some bits
of Objective-C/C++ where you have long running tight inner loops.

On Windows: moving away from C# sounds very risky.

On Linux: this is more of an open space.

Embedded: C/C++, maybe Rust for those with courage? I suspect
moving out of vendor supported tooling is risky (e.g.
system-on-a-chip solutions)

Numerics: Python + low level libraries, Matlab etc.

But, the way I see it TypeScript + "native libraries" has the
potential for covering a lot of ground. The eco system is
exploding.