Updating Windows SDK static libraries of the DMD distribution

kinke via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 14 09:15:59 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 at 14:11:31 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> It's a quite frequent issue to get unresolved externals on
> Windows, because the lib files of the Windows platform SDK are
> still stuck at Windows XP age. It would make a lot of sense to
> update those to the latest Windows 10 SDK, but I couldn't find
> a place where those are present physically, except for the
> release archives.
>
> Does anyone know where those are stored or has the means to
> update them? Martin?

My 2 cents: (serious) Windows devs should install their own
Visual C++ (linker + C runtime) & WinSDK and use DMD with
`-m32mscoff` or `-m64` (to use MS linker instead of OptLink). The
Win10 SDK doesn't support XP afaik and so may not be suited for
all users; there's no 'one fits them all'.
I don't see a big future for OptLink and the bundled libs; it's
only convenient for beginners so that they don't need the MS
stuff and can get started with the DMD redistributable alone. The
other DMD redistributables don't ship with a linker and system
libs either (and you don't need a full-fledged Visual Studio
installation anymore). And once everybody finally switches to
64-bit, OptLink is dead anyway.