Updating Windows SDK static libraries of the DMD distribution

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 14 22:43:53 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 at 20:14:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:

> I would point out that we technically don't support Windows XP.
> If you use D with it, and it works for you, great, but you're
> on your own.

Which is why the OMF libs need to be updated. They're ancient!

> That being said, I don't know enough about the Windows SDK to
> have any clue what we should do with it. If it actually
> requires Windows 10 to use the Win10 SDK, then I don't see how
> we could include it by default, since we do support Windows 7
> (and most folks I know who use Windows refuse to upgrade beyond
> 7 until they have to, though there are obviously plenty of
> folks out there on 8 or 10).

It should be fine to just update the libraries to the Win 7 SDK
versions. Anyone who actually needs any newer API functions can
either use the MS linker or do what we already have to do with
the OMF libs and either manually load them via the LoadLibrary
API or generate their own.

Though, I do recall a discussion on this quite a while ago. I
can't remember how it ended.