syntax sugar: std.path::buildPath instead of from!"std.path".buildPath

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 07:56:08 PST 2017

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 14:35:40 Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 08:53:30 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
>
> wrote:
> > "The static if feature recently proposed for C++ [1, 2] is
> > fundamentally flawed, and its adoption would be a disaster for
> > the language"
> > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3613.pdf
>
> I honestly feel bad for the C++ people here. Looks like someone
> didn't explain the benefits/uses of static if very well.
>
> It also looks like they failed to point to Phobos as an example
> of great static if usage. I imagine many heads would explode
> after seeing Andrei's `find` improvements with static if.

LOL. It would be interesting to know which parts of D or Phobos blew
people's minds. Personally, startsWith blew my mind. I remember taking up
the challenge of making endsWith work with all of the same kind of arguments
that startsWith did, and at the time, I had no idea how startsWith was
implemented. Seeing how it used recursive template instantiations definitely
took a bit to wrap my mind around and was _very_ eye opening.

- Jonathan M Davis