D future ...

bpr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 08:41:31 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 14:44:55 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> Another example is Swift. Swift managed to take over
> Objective-C rather quickly IMO, but Swift has also absorbed the
> non-C semantics of Objective-C, thus it did not require
> changing existing practice significantly.

Swift took over quickly because Apple has mandated it. While I'm
happy about that, there's no denying that Swift wouldn't be where
it is without the weight of Apple behind it. I'd go as far as to
say that Swift's success is assured (unless Apple drops it, which
looks unlikely) and that because Swift has money behind it, more
money will follow, and so will a thriving ecosystem, on and off
OS X.

As a PL, Swift looks nice, but they'll have to come up with a
more complete story around concurrency.