D future ...

Cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 11:47:28 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 16:07:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> I think Go has benefitted some from having limited and stable
> language semantics and continuously improving on the
> implementation. IMO that should make it attractive in the
> server space, i.e. you get low tooling-related maintenance cost
> and still get real benefits from recompiling with new versions
> of the compiler.

That is a very good point, I had never considered the
consequences of
semantics stabilization on tooling. It strenghtens (along with
DIP1005)
my opinion that D is fine as it is and that no new feature should
be
added before at least two years, while fixing the implementation
should
get the focus. It doesn't mean we can't add anything new, better
C++
integration or memory management semantics would be fine, as long
as it
is an already begun project.

There's little point in having more features if what's already
there is
half broken and not well-defined.