D future ...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 15 14:40:21 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 at 21:46:32 UTC, bpr wrote:
> You're missing what I consider to be 'the Big Picture', namely
> that Swift will become popular on non-Apple platforms, and it
> needs to be fairly capable to compete with Go, Java, and C++,
> and others. IBM is already backing server side Swift to some
> degree.

I don't know if that will happen anytime soon. I think the
functionality that the original creator has suggested for
system-level programming has to be in place first. Currently the
language/runtime  is geared towards best practices inherited from
Foundation/Objective-C/Cocoa/macOS... Which makes sense, but
makes Swift a second rate citizen in other environments.