CTFE Status 2

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 16 16:23:18 PST 2017

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 23:16:34 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 09:05:51PM +0000, Stefan Koch via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Hi Guys, due to the old CTFE status thread getting to page 30,
>> I am now starting a new one.
>>
>> First let me summerize which features are currently working:
>> In order of date, the latest features come first.
>>
>> - fixed continue and break for DoWhileStatements
>> - non-toplevel Function Pointers as arguments
>> - basic function pointers
>> --- phobos, druntime & dmd unit-tests pass ----
> [...]
>
> This is great!  The fact that you got it to the point unittests
> pass is awesome.  Can't wait for the new CTFE engine to be
> released!
>
> Do you have any estimate as to when it will be mergeable into
> master?

I estimate that newCTFE 1.0 as outlined in the vision document
will be ready around April.

This estimate is a lower bound as it assumes that things go
smoothly, and the past 6 months have shown that the CTFE-work
does not go smoothly most of the time.
As an upper bound:
I have the personal goal to get it merged before DConf.

At this point most parts of the actual engine are done, the
remaining work mostly involves either making the runtime ctfeable
or building runtime-feature support into dmd.
These things are outside of my domain knowledge and therefore
take much more time then they should.