[OT] NNTP client and threading

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 18 17:24:49 PST 2017

On 2/18/2017 2:11 PM, ketmar wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 2/18/2017 1:37 PM, ketmar wrote:
>>> i think that we should have an article on wiki for client writers. no, really,
>>> some knowledge is here but never written, so people like me have to figure it
>>> out each time. not that there are so many client writers, of course, but... oh,
>>> ok, i guess that i'll write a short summary on this later. ;-)
>> I'm curious about your client project. Can you post a link?
>
> sure:
>
> http://repo.or.cz/knntp.git
> https://files.catbox.moe/wxga1k.png
>
> it is really titled "dingo", not "knntp", but it is not possible to rename repos
> on repo.or.cz. ;-)
>
> but please note that it is not "pure D", i'm using my slightly modified
> dmd/druntime/phobos fork. it is completely compatible with "vanilla", but i am
> usually never "vanilizing" code that i'm not intending to announce/present to
> other people. so you won't be able to build it out of the box (yet required
> changes to "vanilize" it are minimal).
>
> i added a screenshot, so you can make your eyes bleed without building my code. ;-)
>
> and i am now writing an email client, with the slightly modified dingo engine as
> backend (and the same eye-bleeding frontend ;-).
>
> it is also using Adam D. Ruppe's simpledisplay.d module to do all the low-level
> gfx, and his email.d module to decode mime messages. and alot of my own "iv"
> modules, of course.

I'm curious what problem this solves that other nntp clients do not. I see that
its display is in text mode. One nice thing about text mode is it works well on
low-bandwidth connections.

I've been heavily criticized for not using a graphical IDE, but I work a lot
through remote connections, and I've never been able to get a remote desktop to
work at a reasonable speed, even when it is in my house and the connection is
not speed limited.

Text mode tools present no problems there.