[OT] NNTP client and threading

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 18 23:50:19 PST 2017

Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/18/2017 2:11 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>> I'm curious about your client project. Can you post a link?
> sure:
> http://repo.or.cz/knntp.git

> I'm curious what problem this solves that other nntp clients do not.
it perfectly fits my needs. i usually see little reason to "adapt"
myself to something if i can write my own thingy. besides, writing code
is fun.

i tried pan, snews, some other readers i forgot, and they aren't fit. i
wanted the UI i did, i wanted twitlists i wrote, and so on. and i
wanted reader written in D, 'cause i hate to work with a code in
another language. ;-)

> I see that its display is in text mode.
no. ;-) it looks like it, but it isn't. just take a closer look on
screenshot: the font is proportional. but is was designed to look
old-fashioned, yeah.

> One nice thing about text mode is it works well on low-bandwidth
> connections. I've been heavily criticized for not using a graphical
> IDE, but I work a lot through remote connections, and I've never been
> able to get a remote desktop to work at a reasonable speed, even when
> it is in my house and the connection is not speed limited.
> Text mode tools present no problems there.
tbh, most of my tools are console-based. but this time i wanted to do
something with graphics. yet my terminal tastes still manifest
'emselves, i guess.

for writing my code i am using my own terminal-based editor. it has
support for simple syntax highlighting, but that's all: no fancy
"integration" features, no "project management" (besides multiple edit
buffers), no autocompletion. the only "advanced" thing it does is rdmd
output parsing, so i can jump to error location with a single keypress.
yet it is lightning fast. no, really, no slowdowns even with 25+
megabyte(!) files.

i am also using my own terminal emulator too. this one is in C, 'cause
i didn't finished D rewrite yet. ;-)