Enough D to Make a Living?

pineapple via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 21 13:26:55 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 18:32:22 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 02/21/2017 10:34 AM, Paul wrote:
>> 3) Is there much value in taking programming classes that
>> don't deal
>> with D?
>
> Although HR folk never understand this, programming skills are
> highly transferable across languages. So yes, it's definitely
> worthwhile: Getting better with one language will help you be a
> better programmer in other languages.

Very much this. Companies are never impressed by my knowing any
language in particular, they're impressed by the fact I've
written code in so many different languages. Statically-typed
languages, dynamic languages, scripting languages, JVM languages,
assembly languages, etc. etc. etc. Definitely let yourself spend
the most time on a language or two you enjoy most, because it's
still important to demonstrate that you're able to know a
language front-to-back. But experiment with as many other
languages as you can, as much as you feel comfortable and then
some, because that's how you gradually get to a place where the
only thing separating you from proficiency with any programming
language is a week or two of ramp-up time. And that alone makes
you employable almost anywhere.

As for employability: These days, one of the absolute best things
you can do is to have an active github account. Put your projects
in public repositories, even the small ones, and any time you
think of something interesting or you need a tool for yourself,
commit code to the site while you're developing it. And never be
afraid to submit PRs for improving other people's repos, because
it's almost always welcome and it also looks great in terms of
employability because it shows how comfortable you are working
with other people's code.

The overwhelming majority of jobs these days involve writing C++,
C#, Java, JavaScript, or Python. You will have a much easier time
finding a job writing code mainly in one of those languages than
one writing code in D - but that doesn't make learning D useless,
or anything close to it. Everything you learn by writing D will
be transferable to those other languages, especially C++. Just
stay aware that it is well worth your time to familiarize
yourself with other languages, too, and be open to the
possibility of finding work that focuses on other languages.