Enough D to Make a Living?

aberba via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 21 15:06:57 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 15:34:02 UTC, Paul wrote:
> I'm in between engineering jobs and exploring the idea of
> getting into programming for a living...specifically D.
> 1) Is there enough D demand for someone to make a living (bread
> and water :} ) at it?
Anything is possible. Aged companies are more government in their
operations. Its way to get employed by startups.

> 2) I've programmed industrial automation controllers using
> graphical and text-based languages and wrote a few small
> command line tools in D for myself. How long would it take to
> become "employable"?
Web, IoT, cloud ... that's where employment is going. You know
about embedded systems already (IoT). Don't know how much support
D has in this area though, but seems LDC has good arm support.

> 3) Is there much value in taking programming classes that don't
> deal with D?
I will recommended studying the few D books, standard library
(very important), language specification, and basic algorithms.
Exercism.io is a good learning resource for D and Github D
projects.

> 4) What is the best way to find D programming jobs online?

No one really knows. They have to have a reason to employ you
which your genuine portfolio can help. Some companies look for
certs whilst others look for capable talents/skills.

Startups are formed everyday.

I don't want to go into whether CS degree is a requirement or not.