If you needed any more evidence that memory safety is the future...

Dukc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 24 10:11:19 PST 2017

On Friday, 24 February 2017 at 15:15:00 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Chainsaws are effective, but dangerous. So you should have both
> training and use safety equipment. Training and safety
> equipment is available for C-like languages (to the level of
> provable correctness), and such that it doesn't change the
> runtime performance.

With chainsaws, those are probably provided if you use one
professionally. But an average Joe getting his firewood from his
small personal wood plantation is somewhat unlikely to have both.
I don't how common chainsaws and their usage are among
non-professionals elsewhere, but here they are common.

The same thing applies for programming languages. A pro might be
able to verify safety of C with some LLVM advanced tools or
whatever, but not all coders are experienced nor skillful. For a
team with lots of such members, using a language in such manner
is too elitist. Too many things to learn and care about, and thus
won't be done. And you can't have code being done only or even
primarily by the best only, because the less advanced need
experience too.

That's not to say chainsaws or C should be banned. But it's to
say that the less extra effort safety requres, the more effective
it is.