Of the use of unpredictableSeed

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 26 11:07:32 PST 2017

cym13 wrote:

>> "like /dev/random on Linux"
>> (sighs) it was so good until this...
> That's a typo actually, I meant urandom, I'll correct it.

thank you. sorry for me being rough: i was trying to make a joke, and
i was pretty sure that it was a typo. but now i reread my post and
found that the joke mysteriously turned into something i didn't meant
to say.

> Actually it would be better not to use urandom directly but use it as
> source to regularly reseed another PRNG in order to avoid some warts
> but meh. As a first step it's good enough as it is.

yeah. yet, urandom is using cryptoprng (salsa now, afair), so it may be
used as-is too. ah, even good old arc4 is not that bad -- as urandom is
almost never have a "scratch start" case. and one can throw away 2k-3k
of values just to be sure anyway. ;-)

ah, i *meant* to say: "good article". so: good article! ;-)