Notes for DLang maintainers

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 27 15:42:57 PST 2017

On 02/26/2017 09:38 AM, Seb wrote:>
> Review workflow (squashed commits & write access to PRs)

Hoorayyyy for these!!!! *Please* lets make use of these.

Pretty much everything about the old way couldn't have been any better
at dissuading regular contributors if it had be DESIGNED to discourage
contributions. The back and forth on style or other nitpicks, getting
the dreaded "looks good, plz rebase and squash" thus triggering "shit,
ok, how the fuck do I 'rebase a pr' again without bugging the reviewer?"
And as for squash, well that's just such a badly-documented convoluted
mess in git, every single time I've attempted I gave up and found it
vastly quicker and easier to just make a fresh branch in a new working
directory and file-copy the final versions there. Used to even do a new
PR until I learned enough about git to work out force-pushing the fresh
new branch to the old PR's remote branch instead of just making a new PR
(which contributors really shouldn't freaking have to figure out).

Contributors shouldn't have to know as much about git as a project's
maintainers. So these features, if used, are AWESOME.