Notes for DLang maintainers

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 28 05:48:09 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 at 13:10:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> This would be the overwhelmingly frequent case.
> This indicates a problem with the PR more often than not.

It is unfortunate that these two seem to be true right now, so
given that, I'll agree with you. Currently a lot of contributed
code seems to be placed in unnecessarily large commits with
minimalist commit messages, which would rank lather low on the
quality scale of large established projects. Ideally changes
should be split into as many commits as is reasonable, which by
itself brings a lot of benefits, and described in detail (50-char
summary, long description of the change, and change rationale).
For examples, see the commit message guidelines of Linux, git, or
really any project that's large enough to have commit message
guidelines.