Notes for DLang maintainers

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 28 08:37:45 PST 2017

On 02/28/2017 02:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2017-02-28 00:42, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>
>> Contributors shouldn't have to know as much about git as a project's
>> maintainers. So these features, if used, are AWESOME.
>
> Squashing and rebasing is part of the basic git, in my opinion.

Maybe they should be, but with the basic git interface, or any front-end
I've seen, they're terribly convoluted. Particularly squashing. Well,
either that, or the docs are just really, REALLY bad.

There's no reason either one of those operations couldn't/shouldn't be a
(*simple*) one-line command, and yet, they just...aren't. But then,
that's git :/ (And no, rebasing a PR is NOT a one-line git command, and
no, add-on scripts don't count towards usability.)

Actually, about a week ago, I finally got around to staring a lib/cli
front-end for git (github support planned, too) to make everything sane.
Too early for anything public though, a lot still incomplete, a lot that
may still be in flux.