ARC in D

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 2 08:32:12 PST 2017

On Monday, January 02, 2017 16:07:26 eugene via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 2 January 2017 at 15:49:47 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> > On Monday, 2 January 2017 at 15:43:22 UTC, eugene wrote:
> >> hello everyone,
> >> is there any kind of smart pointers or something in D instead
> >> of GC?
> >
> > It's coming!
>
> is it coming for real, or just for the record?

Walter has been making improvements to @safe so that he can implement some
form of @safe reference counting in the language. Exactly what that will
look like or when it will be done is an open question (I don't even know how
much Walter knows about that), but work _is_ being done specifically with
language supported ref-counting in mind.

So, is it coming? Yes. Is it coming soon? Maybe. I wouldn't bet on it, but
Walter could surprise us. He could have something by dconf, or enough stuff
may be required to get it working or enough other important stuff may take
up his time that we don't see anything until next year. I really don't know.
As it is, it's already effectively been delayed by the need to improve @safe
in order to make it work - though the @safe work is pretty important in its
own right.

- Jonathan M Davis