It is still not possible to use D on debian/ubuntu

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 2 16:05:49 PST 2017

On Monday, 2 January 2017 at 15:11:42 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> Not to mention that not all linux distributions work this way.
> Even not all the debian -> unbntu ones (such as Mint), and
> certainly not the ones based on red hat.

The topic was fairly disputed for RH, but Jakub Jelinek is also
the author of prelink, and seems a bit biased. There are also IRC
logs available.
https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1113
It's true that ASLR is only a small security improvement that's
not even relevant to many programs.
I also ran several benchmarks and didn't found any measurable
changes. So in the end going with PIC by default seemed OK.