Crazy, sad but ... would you use D for your own facebook or pinterest?

aberba via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 3 03:47:54 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 at 00:51:04 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 21:49:03 +0000, aberba wrote:
>
>> I'm not building Facebook/pinterest but I'm trying to work on
>> a platform like "pinterest-like" but on a small scale. I want
>> it to be easy to write, fast, ... you know. D is obviously
>> that (IMO).
>>
>> About scalability, would you recommend D(vibe.d initially) for
>> long run
>> (techically, generally, currently)? Why? (Brutal honesty).
>
> I'd consider what languages future employees are likely to know
> and how much time it would take them to become proficient with
> D.
Ha ha. That is a potential problem. But I will figure things out.

>I'd consider what dependencies I will likely have and
> whether there are existing D libraries for them.
That's my fear. I'm much into using already baked stuff.

> a more application-specific benchmarking tool to see in more
> depth.

Will look into that.

> I'm likely to want investors, so a functional demo is useful,
> even if I scrap it after seed funding or Series A.
>
> I'd do the same with any toolkit or language at that stage. For
> instance, I'm at an early-stage startup right now, and I spent
> a bit of effort comparing several different frameworks we could
> use for services and RPCs.

I'm currently planning on funding initially myself. And support
in future with content promotion fees... mini mini ads :)

I feel getting investors will limit my ability to craft it ATM.

> This isn't so much an answer, but then, I don't know your
> usecase well enough, and I don't know what technologies you
> plan to use. For instance, you might want to use Hadoop for
> file storage. Or MongoDB + GridFS. Or MySQL with a limit on
> file sizes. Or a scale-out filesystem like Qumulo. These are
> quite different options with different levels of support in D.

Planning to use mysql and mongoDB(for the flexible part). I
haven't research much about File Systems but I planning to use
amazon s3. Basically I want to handle few burden as possible.

Could use some advice though. It will be based my my country
alone (local audience). But local hosting services are not
reliable (down time issues).