To use a scripting language or not to use a scripting language?

Ivan Kazmenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 6 06:49:10 PST 2017

On Friday, 6 January 2017 at 14:19:34 UTC, Anton Pastukhov wrote:
>> As a game developer I can recommend to use Lua. This language
>> is tradtionally used in many games/game engines.
>
> Ironically, one of D's declared selling points is, according to
> https://dlang.org/overview.html:
>
>>Who is D For?
>>Programmers who write half their application in scripting
>>languages the other half in native langauges to speed up the
>>bottlenecks. D has productivity features that make using such
>>hybrid approaches unnecessary.

The use case here is arguably different.  In the ideal case, game
logic scripts are editable by gamers which are not necessarily
programmers.  Chris Wright has already given a bunch of other
reasons to use a self-contained, simple, domain-specific, and
limited language in such a setting.

Perhaps D will some day be usable in a language-as-a-library
setting which would make it possible to use for game logic
scripts, too.  But considering the points above, it still won't
necessarily be a good idea.

Some of the top games use Python (Civilization IV) and Lua (World
of Warcraft, Far Cry, SimCity 4) for scripting.

Ivan Kazmenko.