Seemingly patternless optlink premature termination

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 8 13:47:37 PST 2017

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 at 20:36:38 UTC, jkpl wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 January 2017 at 19:15:49 UTC, Jerry wrote:
>> On Sunday, 8 January 2017 at 18:49:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> P.S. Isn't it maddening that Windows doesn't allow copying
>>> the data from a message window?
>>
>> A bit more maddening that D is still trying to support
>> optlink, a linker that hasn't seen a commit in 2 years when it
>> is hardly bug free.
>
> Your comment is not pertinent. The object format doesn't change
> so the linker doesn't need to be updated. The problem here
> seems to be a bug. Until someone finds it, it can't be fixed.

We are discussing Optlink and a bug related to it. The fact it's
20 years old, written in assembly, and hasn't had a bug fix in
years even though they have been reported is very very very much
relevant. It's legacy software that shouldn't be relied on unless
you also consider D to be legacy (I think most probably won't).