Why not promoting team work?

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 13 19:39:08 PST 2017

On 14/01/2017 3:59 PM, nbro wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 02:41:00 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> The only way to get qualified to do these tasks like GUI toolkits is
>> by doing. Keep this in mind.
>>
>> As somebody who does indeed do implement multiple libraries at one
>> time you're looking at it the wrong way. I switch between projects
>> over periods that last for years not days or weeks. The point there of
>> course is to prevent burn out and to enjoy what I'm working on at all
>> times.
>>
>> I may have plenty of libraries under the Devisualization name space as
>> well as e.g. Cmsed that I no longer maintain. But it wasn't because of
>> lack of skills in the subject area, it was simply the wrong direction
>> for an implementation and I could not determine this ahead of time.
>> Eventually I will come back to them and implement them properly such
>> as what I'm now doing with SPEW[0].
>>
>> What this says about the community is that we give things a go. No
>> matter how hard it is. We try, sometimes we fail and that is ok.
>>
>> If there is a specific project you like, give a shout out! Seriously,
>> it helps to tell us where our efforts are most appreciated.
>>
>> [0] http://spew.cf
>
> You didn't get my point at all.

Sadly I did and ketmar pretty much said what I was saying.
We work on what we want to because we can. Unless money is involved the
only thing left is ones interest in a subject to drive you. Quite often
that means figuring things out on your own and ignoring the rest.

Doesn't mean I don't want to work with others, I do. I have in the past
contributed to Vibe.d, adrdox and I'm sure a lot of others. But unless
there is a project that actually fits my needs I don't contribute
towards it. This is why I have SPEW yet libasync and vibed:eventcore
exists. They simply do not fulfill my needs in their goals (API mostly).