GSoC 2017 Ideas!

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 14 08:20:06 PST 2017

On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 16:12:43 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> but sorting by rating in search

I'm sorry, that was a run on sentence.

The big picture goal I'd like to see is that the package manager,
or even a tutorial author for some topic, just take the choice
away.

Sure, you can ignore its recommendation and look down the list,
but it would be nice if you didn't have to; if there was one
solid way to do what they want that is easy to find. End analysis
paralysis.

Like on Amazon, where there's hundreds of options, but there's
one with the five stars listed as #1 best seller at the top of
the list, it is nice to stop evaluation and just hit buy. It
kinda sucks to be the new competitor when the system is promoting
the existing #1.... but meh.

You also want to avoid cheating the system and manipulating the
results, by either established slumlords or new guys wanting a
leg up.

If the student can solve the design problem, the implementation
might be easy. idk how Google would feel about trivial code with
painful design, but that's the way a lot of software work is in
the real world sooo I feel it is an applicable project.