It is still not possible to use D on debian/ubuntu

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 14 16:29:24 PST 2017

On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 23:24:18 UTC, Jack Applegame
wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 18:41:21 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2017-01-14 at 17:28 +0000, Elronnd via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:

>>> What's impractical about downloading and installing an
>>> rpm?  For that matter, downloading the source and compiling
>>> it isn't all that impractical either.
>>
>> Downloading and installing an RPM outside of dnf.
>>

> What do you mean "outside"?
> I use DMD on CentOS, and I installed it by command:
>
> yum install
> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.072.2/dmd-2.072.2-0.fedora.x86_64.rpm
>
> From your point of view it is "outside" or "inside" of yum?

Still outside because it is not developed as part of Fedora.
One big reason for getting a language's toolchain into the main
repositories of a distribution that Russel didn't mention yet is
the additional QA and testing it will get.
For example, the PIE/PIC issue would not have happened at all if
people were using the tools provided by the distribution, because
we made sure that every tool we ship works with this change.
Using pieces that are part of the distribution is also way easier
than getting them from external sources, also mainly because we
can give a lot of guarantees about software we ship in a
distribution.

And also, D software that is itself part of the distro will be
compiled with one of the purely-free compilers anyway, so if you
target one of those it just makes sense to primarily use LDC or
GDC to ensure the software works well.