How do we make dub more useful?

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 16 02:52:22 PST 2017

On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 11:02:51 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> There were two recent posts by a new Rust user about how he's
> finding that language, that got a lot of attention on their
> reddit.  In the latter post, he mentions D as a competitor:
>
> http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7303
>
> Worth reading because we have similar issues with the dub
> registry, that Sönke is starting to grappling with:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/o4mi9d$14po$1@digitalmars.com
>
> I really like the filtering now at the top of the package
> registry at http://code.dlang.org, allowing you to drill down
> on the kind of package you're looking for.  However, I notice
> that 100+ packages are not in the application or library list,
> as the totals from those two top-level categories don't add up
> to the reported uncategorized total.
>
> It would be good if registered users could add ratings and
> reviews too, similar to mobile app stores, as where else can we
> publicly share our opinions about a particular package?  Those
> would make good feedback for package authors too.

The one thing I miss is a global configuration file. There is one
that exist (~/.dub/settings.json) but you can't AFAIK define
build configurations or other useful configs in it.

I generally want to build things with "-O -inline" but not
-release. No default build in dub allows that and editing each
projects that I try to add it is not ok for me.