Why not promoting team work?

solidstate1991 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 17 17:24:51 PST 2017

On Saturday, 14 January 2017 at 02:28:34 UTC, nbro wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been following D for at least one year. I like it and I
> think it's a very good programming language, even though I do
> not agree with everything it's being done.
>
> One thing that has saddened me is seeing a lot of D's users
> trying to implement their own library or maybe trying to
> implement multiple libraries at the same time. Most of the
> results are very poor because libraries are not
>
> 1. completed
> 2. maintained
> 3. well-written
>
> I've seen comments like "I'm no more maintaining this library
> because I'm not able to proceed since I do not have the
> skills". This of course doesn't bring any credibility to the
> language, to the community, etc. So we see some people trying
> bring the caravan forward, but I many of these people are not
> qualified enough clearly, since they do not even have the
> vision and the knowledge that starting a project like creating
> a serious GUI or modern IDE is not an easy task, and definitely
> it won't be a person alone that will create one a decent amount
> of years that will compete with the most performant ones.
>
> My idea (which is mostly directed to the big names behind D) is
> that team work should somehow be promoted.
>
> How could you do such a thing?
>
> One possibility could be to announce interesting and useful
> projects in D and somehow ask for people interesting in working
> in such projects. These people should clearly be qualified for
> the job, but this isn't an easy task to verified. The projects
> could eventually or not be backed up by the announcer of the
> project.
>
> These could be a few starting ideas and options.

I have a game engine in the works, but as I plan to use it as my
master's thesis (if I find a consultant for it) I cannot really
let others to work on it until I either have to give up using it
for my thesis or wait until I get my college degree.

However I have other plans to. Some of them include:
  - Creating a more advanced replacement for MIDI, either making
my plans that are based upon 128bit packets, or get something
usable out of OSC...
  - ...alongside with a new audio plugin system.
  - I created a GUI system for my engine, but I like it so much
that I planned to make it usable outside of my engine, and it
could be used for D based applications or even in operating
systems like PowerNEX.

On these I could get any person who want to help me right in from
the start.