Catching Errors

Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 19 17:24:18 PST 2017

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 at 14:29:46 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> From what I understand, the difference between an Exception and
> and Error is that Errors signal your program has entered into
> an invalid state. For example, going past the end of an array
> and attempting to access that memory. On the flip side,
> Exceptions signal that something out of the ordinary happened,
> but with proper handling the program can go on it's merry way.
> An example being entering 13 as a month in a std.datetime.Date.
>
> If this is the case, would it not make sense to make it illegal
> to catch Errors in @safe code?

I think this is an area of D I haven't explored yet. Is there a
place in the docs that describe the difference between errors and
exceptions? As to the particular example, why is it unsafe to
recover from attempting to access memory past the end of the
array, as long as the access was prevented?

--Jon