D for scripting?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 22 04:45:26 PST 2017

On Sat, 2017-01-21 at 11:30 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-
d wrote:
[…]

> rdmd is a single-file program distributed under a very permissive
> license. Would you care to repackage it the way you find more
> appropriate? -- Andrei

The "problem" here is the role of the D Tools repository. Is it solely
for DMD, or is it supposed to be something that can be packaged
independent of a particular D compiler. As it is I am not sure it can
be the unit of packaging.

Actually the biggest problem is that the repository appears to have no
licence statement so it is not clear what may or may not be done.

I believe it may be easiest for the dlang project to separate out
rdmd.d and it's test into a separate repository so that it can have a
development life all of it's own – with a licence acceptable to Debian
and Fedora. It can then have a Make, CMake, or Meson build added so as
to pass the requirements of those distributions (unless Dub has been
added to the list of acceptable build tools). Then it may be possible
to get the same people who package ldc for Debian and Fedora to package
rdmd such that is finds the compilers in some defined order.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk