A mini D book: Markdown or LaTeX?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 24 06:59:24 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 14:27:15 UTC, aberba wrote:
> Which one works well? I'm more concerned about syntax
> highlighting and line numbering (in some cases). Support for
> custom fonts.

Unless you have a strong preference for LaTeX syntax, (Pandoc)
markdown is the better choice. You can export to multiple
formats, including .tex, and you can insert arbitrary LaTeX
inside the .md file.

I use Pandoc for all of my class lecture notes, and by the end of
the semester the full documents will be 180-300 pages, depending
on the class. I convert .md to .tex to .pdf, but when I want to
pull parts out to post on the website, I copy the markdown into a
new file and convert to html.