Swift's plan for world domination

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 25 01:08:42 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 20:13:21 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Just finished listening to an interesting podcast with Chris
> Lattner, creator of Swift, about what went into the language,
> including mentioning D as one of its many influences, saying he
> wants it everywhere from linux servers to systems programming,
> and explaining their choice of ARC over GC.
>
> podcast - http://atp.fm/205
> transcript -
> http://atp.fm/205-chris-lattner-interview-transcript

Thanks for the transcript link. :-)  I wonder if his work at
Tesla involves turning Swift into a system programming language.

I found the following quote interesting:

«I think it's very likely that Swift will get features for
memory-ownership control, which will allow really, really high
performance: it will allow solving performance problems with ARC,
for example. Unlike Rust, we can't make that be a core part of
the type system that everybody has to use. It has to be something
that sufficiently smart programmers, when they're solving a
specific performance problem, end up using, or an embedded-kernel
programmer might want to use, but an application developer can
[1:09:30] completely ignore»