A mini D book: Markdown or LaTeX?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 25 03:01:14 PST 2017

On Tue, 2017-01-24 at 16:38 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 15:02:26 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't use Markdown for such a project.
>
> Is there a reason?

Unless life has changed, the support for indexing, tables of contents,
floating images, tables, etc. is missing from Markdown.

> > Many people might choose Asciidoctor.
>
> When I looked at asciidoc, it looked like markdown with
> extensions.

Or put another way Markdown is a stripped down Asciidoctor (or
ReStructuredText) for creating single HTML pages with no complicated
content.

Word (or if you are lucky LibreOffice) is the way most publishers want
authors to write. XeLaTeX and Asciidoctor (as a front end to a
DocBook/XML toolchain) are the route for end-user construction of press
PDF.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk