A mini D book: Markdown or LaTeX?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 25 03:58:45 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 at 14:27:15 UTC, aberba wrote:
> Which one works well? I'm more concerned about syntax
> highlighting and line numbering (in some cases). Support for
> custom fonts.

Depends on what you want to achieve. LaTeX has loads of packages
that can be installed and you can create professional looking
layouts. It is quite impressive. I know people who write articles
and their Ph.D. thesis in LaTeX to get maximum control over the
layout (to avoid Word-like surprises). LaTeX is accepted by many
publishers, printers etc., especially in the tech sector. The
downside is the source code. It's not very nice to read and you
get lost easily. And try to get back after a year and change
something! Also, you have to convert it to PDF each time you
wanna (proof)read it, so you usually deal with two layouts at the
same time (source code and PDF/HTML), which is time consuming and
error prone.

 From what I can see, Markdown is much nicer to read and you don't
need to switch between source code and layout all the time, but
it is rather limited in comparison to LaTeX. You wouldn't have
the fine grained control over the layout and you would most
likely have to convert it to something else before you can send
it to a publisher / printer. They don't want to waste time with
exotic or lesser known formats, because they have their own
infrastructure set up, which leads me to the next point.

A lot of publishers will prefer Word, because they can easily
edit it and if they have their own layout section, they will
transform Word to txt and paste it into say Adobe InDesign.

So if you want to publish privately on your homepage or blog,
pick whatever you want. If you want to publish on one of those
self-publishing websites, check what they support. If you want
the old fashioned publisher ask them first what format they want.
Believe me, you can safe a lot of time. Imagine you create the
perfect layout with LaTeX and then the publisher goes "Thanks,
er, can you please send it to me as a Word doc?"

I for my part have stopped worrying about it too much. Just write
the text (in Word or an Ascii editor) and think about the layout
later. It helps you to focus on the content rather than on the
optical structure - and if you have to change, add, delete or
re-arrange things, it won't cause you any headaches. Write first,
design later.