A mini D book: Markdown or LaTeX?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 27 03:05:41 PST 2017

On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 10:26:25 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Er, yes. That's how it works. Always ask the publisher first.
> But that wasn't the question. The question was Markdown or
> LaTeX, and if you want to generate your own PDF for e.g. a M.A.
> or Ph.D., some people prefer LaTeX because of the fine grained
> control it offers. I don't know a single Ph.D. student who used
> Word who didn't have to fight with Word stubbornly
> restructuring the layout. The footnotes, the graphics ... a
> nightmare.

I believe I just used the default Word style. It's a goddamned
text, why it needs any sort of sophisticated layout aside from
fitting the page? I had no problem with footnotes maybe because I
believe they shouldn't exists in such documents in the first
place: if you want to write something, just write it where it
fits. It's baffling to see footnotes in ISO standards: if it's
something important, write it where it belongs, W3C and IETF got
it right, their documents have no footnotes.