What is going on with the ubuntu/debian debacle ?

Pjotr Prins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 30 00:21:17 PST 2017

I have created a relocatable GNU Guix 64-bits binary of ldc 1.1.0
(just released) that will install on any Linux distribution.

   LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.1.0):
     based on DMD v2.071.2 and LLVM 3.7.1
     built with LDC - the LLVM D compiler (0.17.1)
     Default target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

ldc can be installed and run in a HOME directory without root
privileges by simply unpacking the tarball from

http://biogems.info/contrib/genenetwork/pk9rkm4zvdp6pglam7s280x1x8y5rvbz-ldc-1.1.0-x86_64.tar.bz2
     md5sum fe2508135eadc87fcc31027524c11ec5

and running the contained

   ./install.sh TARGETDIR.

 From TARGETDIR ldc2 can compile hello.d and
also a more complex project where I had to tell it where to find
libphobos.a (which is included).

I need a few people to test drive this. Please have a go if you
have a
few minutes because it is important we can deploy such software
on HPC
systems. GNU Guix is great because it gives us a fully
reproducible
build system and relocatable Guix does not require administrator
rights, nor Docker.

In a future version we will update LLVM and add dup (support for
both already exists in Guix).