Snap packages for D compilers and core projects

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 30 06:40:13 PST 2017

On Sunday, 29 January 2017 at 20:07:50 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> The question is, (i) is this a welcome proposal? and (ii) if it
> is welcome, what do people see as the best way to go about this?

No comments? Well, there seems to be no downside (apart from the
work).

So far, I considered Snap an Ubuntu-only initiative of
yet-another-package-format. If it really gains cross-distro
support, this is a great way for better D support on Fedora,
Arch, etc. What is the evidence for cross-distro support? Can it
be measured somehow?

Is it legally possible to distribute DMD this way? Afaik only
dlang.org is allowed to distribute it publically due to the
backend licence issue.