Fix it for me!

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 31 07:21:42 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 at 13:11:22 UTC, Profile Anaysis
wrote:
> The web interface could use a little work!
>
> 1. Tabs - I know that tabs are designed to move to different
> elements but you can override the default behavior and make
> life quite a bit easier for most people(since most people have
> access to a mouse).

That would be a regression in accessibility. At least, I use tabs
to navigate website forms.

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3362/capturing-tab-key-in-text-box

This solution is an ugly kludge. Sorry, but I will not be
implementing this. I would suggest against using tabs in Internet
messages anyway, as the way they are displayed highly depends on
the user agent.

> Instead, put some elements on the page, a few buttons that say
> things like "fix me" which will reduce the quote like it
> normally does, but does not require a page reload(which can be
> a few seconds sometimes and sometimes the site goes down in the
> middle).

Page load times should be almost always instant. Unfortunately,
the server the forum is running on has been experiencing high
load lately, due to it also hosting some D CI systems. I'm
looking into this.

> Also, the captcha could be added the first time if it is
> required instead of requiring another page load for it to pop
> up.

Whether or not a CAPTCHA challenge should be displayed cannot be
determined before the user submits their post.

> 3. D code highlighting!

Some Markdown formatting is planned for the next major update.

> Oh, and this post: "Your post contains a suspicious keyword or
> character sequence. Please solve a CAPTCHA to continue."
>
> Did I say a nasty word somewhere? Is someone gonna wash my
> mouth out with soap?

The suspicious character sequence in your post was:

> [Url]http://forum.dlang.org/newpost/general[/Url]

This syntax does nothing on these forums, but many spammers
attempt to use it anyway when spamming links to their websites.
For this reason, it always triggers a CAPTCHA.

> Also, If I get the captcha and get the answer wrong, I get a
> loop:
>
> Your last post was less than 15 seconds ago. Please wait a few
> seconds before trying again.

This should now be improved.

> Seems like if one does a valid captcha it should reset and
> allow the next post to go through without issue.

No, because then someone could write a solver for the CAPTCHAs,
and be able to flood the forum without any rate restrictions.