Master thesis

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 1 05:16:12 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 1 July 2017 at 08:48:19 UTC, Dgame wrote:
> Hi there. I hope that is the right place for this topic.
> I'm currently writing my master thesis and just like in my
> bachelor thesis, D will play a significant role in my master
> thesis. My thesis will discuss the impact of software
> engineering concepts of security-oriented programming languages
> on software development with a focus on the effects on software
> design / design patterns and specifically software
> architecture. As said, D will be one of the few secure
> programming languages which I will present. Others will be Rust
> & Ada and on the other side C/C++ will be one example of the
> many unsecure programming languages. That as a short
> introduction of the purpose of my master thesis and what I
> intend to do in the next six months. Currently, I'm collecting
> links, literature and other stuff on that topic. But I thought
> that maybe some of you know more about that and can give me
> hints, links or maybe even real live experience/examples. That
> would be really kind of you. :)
>
> For example:
> Which impact would have D on the software-architecture, if it
> would be choosen for a 2D game instead of C/C++?
> The 2D game is my choosen case example since I programmed small
> games on gamejams in C/C++ and D, until two years ago. Of
> course, any architecture regarding that topic is of interest.
>
> Have you already made such experience or do you know people who
> have and maybe even wrote articles about?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

If you haven't watched it yet, Walter's dconf keynote this year
is a good place to start as are the discussion on dip1000 and the
dip itself.

But as Rikki said the fact that all arrays carry they length
means that we have array bounds checking, which rules out one
class of very common bugs you would get in C.

I'm about to hand in my Honours thesis on Monday after doing it
for a year, I don't think I could do one in six months, so best
of luck!