Phobos PR in need of review/merge

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 2 00:04:40 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 01:56:22AM +0000, Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 01:35:31 UTC, Meta wrote:
> > On this topic, I feel like we've been falling behind lately in
> > responding to PRs promptly, communicating with submitters on what
> > changes (if any) are needed to get the PR into merge shape, and
> > actually getting stuff merged (this isn't anything new of course). I
> > don't have the data to back me up yet, but I am going to try to
> > gather what I can and make a post about it sometime within the next
> > month. Any ideas or insights are welcome.
> >
> > 1. https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5515
>
> This is particularly my fault. I haven't been reviewing PRs nearly as
> much as I was in the past.

I don't think it's specifically your fault... I think we're just short
of hands on team Phobos.  I used to do a lot more reviewing / merging
too, but this past year I've been unable to because now I have a young
child and free time is a luxury I often don't have anymore.  We really,
really, need more hands on board to handle the amount of PRs that are
coming in, especially now that D is getting wider exposure and
attracting more contributors.

> I think the PR queue on Phobos has gotten out of control. Ideally we'd
> have around 50 or less PRs open.

Yeah it has. :-(  When I was first given commit access to Phobos,
Dicebot & myself & a few others worked hard to cut the queue from around
70-80 (IIRC) down to about 30-35.  Our goal was to cut it down to 25 (1
page on Github).  Unfortunately, Dicebot left for various reasons, and I
got too busy, so the queue has clogged back up and now has overflowed
past where it used to be.

> I'm going to try to comment on/review at least one PR a day from here
> on out to slowly chip away at the queue.

Thanks, that is greatly needed!  I'll try to check more often, but free
time is just so hard to find these days...

But ultimately, what we desperately need is more hands on team Phobos.
The workload is far more than 1 person can handle in the long run. Or,
for that matter, for a small team of the current size to handle.  The
last thing we want to happen is for you (or anyone else) to burn out and
give up, then we'll be back to square one again (or worse).

What's a "hot crossed bun"? An angry rabbit.