Checked vs unchecked exceptions

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 3 06:00:37 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 21:47:56 Nick Sabalausky  via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 06/25/2017 01:38 PM, mckoder wrote:
> > I am disappointed that D doesn't have checked exceptions.
>
> Huh? Is it April 1st?

That was kind of my reaction. It has been my impression that while many
folks initially seem to think that checked exceptions are a good idea, it
has generally been accepted by the programming community at large that they
are in fact a bad idea. AFAIK, Java is the only language to have checked
exceptions, and every language that has come after has avoided them.

Regardless, based on what Walter has said previously, I think that it's
quite clear that there is zero danger of checked exceptions ever being added
to D and thus there is really no need to spend time or energy arguing about
it, which is part of why I've essentially ignored this thread (and is
probably why a lot of major posters have ignored it). I have too little time
to spend on D-related things right now as it is. LOL. On that count, I
probably shouldn't even have spent the time to reply to this...

- Jonathan M Davis