Let's talk about deprecations

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 3 09:08:43 PDT 2017

On Monday, 3 July 2017 at 13:14:02 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> So, in general, I think that it's a big mistake to keep
> deprecated stuff along on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.
> Keeping it around for about two years like we do now is already
> quite a long time in that regard. As long as the symbol doesn't
> require any maintenance, then it's not a big deal, but too
> often, _some_ maintenance does end up being required.

For Phobos, changing the name would be less about keeping the
function around for a long time than about offering an easy fix
once the code does break. The current approach to deprecations is
that you get a warning that at some point the function might be
removed, then you update the compiler and you have broken code
without an obvious fix. A broken build gets your attention, but
you have a short-term fix. The total length of the deprecation
cycle wouldn't have to change.