Let's talk about deprecations

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 3 09:47:35 PDT 2017

On 3 July 2017 at 01:48, Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 July 2017 at 23:27:26 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>
>> Proposals
>> ---------
>>
>> I think we should learn from the past. Here are a couple of ideas:
>>
>> 1) Stop making such a fuzz about having a long deprecation period. Most
>> people will only care about a deprecation when their project doesn't compile
>> anymore. A deprecation period of two releases is more than enough for users
>> that care. As seen even _eight_ releases don't help! (std.c was deprecated
>> in 2.067)
>

> The only concern I have with this is that not everyone uses DMD.
> LDC typically lags the development cycle, although we try to keep up as fast
> as we can.
> I'm no sure about the state of GDC though. I think Iain has it up to 2.072?
> This makes it a pain for library writers who want to be compatible with all
> the compilers.

Can we tag compiler versions in dub?  I think you have such a
construct in npm...

Found it, https://docs.npmjs.com/files/package.json#engines

Yeah - compiler, os, and cpu all seem like something that should be
made available in the dub package format.